This policy describes the information we collect, how it is used and shared, and your choices regarding this information. We recommend that you read this along with our Privacy Overview, which highlights key points about our privacy practices (including what information we collect, when we collect it and how we use it).
Data Collection and Use
This policy applies to users of taptap's services anywhere in the world, including users of taptap's apps, websites, features and other services.
- Information that you provide to taptap, for example your registration details
- Information created when you use our services, such as your location, usage and device information
- Information from other sources, such as taptap partners and third parties that use taptap APIs.
The following information is collected by, or on behalf of taptap:
1. Information you provide
This may include:
- User profile: We collect information when you create or update your taptap account. This may include your name, email address, phone number, login name and password, address, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), government identification numbers such as Social Security number, driver's licence or passport if required by law, date of birth, photo and signature. This also includes driver vehicle or insurance information. In addition, this includes the preferences and settings that you enable for your taptap account.
- Background check information: We may collect background check information if you sign up to use taptap’s services as a driver or delivery partner. This may include information such as your driving history or criminal record (where permitted by law). This information may be collected by a vendor on taptap’s behalf.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic information about you, which we may collect through user surveys. In some countries, we may also receive demographic information about you from third parties.
- User content: We may collect information that you submit when you contact taptap customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users, or contact taptap in any other way.
Information created when you use our services
This may include:
- Location information
Depending on the taptap services you use and your app settings or device permissions, we may collect your precise or approximate location information as determined through data such as GPS, IP address and Wi-Fi.
- If you are a driver, taptap collects location information when the taptap app is running in the foreground (app open and onscreen) or background (app open but not onscreen) of your device.
- If you are a rider and have provided permission for the processing of location data, taptap collects location information when the taptap app is running in the foreground. In certain regions, taptap also collects this information when the taptap app is running in the background of your device if this collection is enabled through your app settings or device permissions.
- Riders can use the taptap app without allowing taptap to collect their location information. However, this may affect the functionality available on your taptap app. For example, if you do not allow taptap to collect your location information, you will have to enter your pick-up address manually. In addition, location information will be collected from the driver during your trip and linked to your account, even if you have not allowed taptap to collect your location information.
- Transaction information
We collect transaction details related to your use of our services, including the type of services you requested or provided, your order details, delivery information, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, distance travelled, and payment method. Also, if someone uses your promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
- Usage information
- Device information
We may collect information about the devices you use to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, file names and versions, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion information, and mobile network information.
- Communications data
We enable users to communicate with each other and taptap via the taptap apps, websites and other services. For example, we enable drivers and riders, and delivery partners and recipients, to call or text each other (in some countries, without disclosing their telephone numbers to each other). To provide this service, taptap receives some information regarding the calls or texts, including the date, time and the content of the communications. Taptap may also use this information for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services, and for analytics.
Information from other sources
This may include:
- User feedback, such as ratings or compliments.
- Users providing your information in connection with referral programmes.
- Users requesting services for you or on your behalf.
- Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
- Taptap business partners through which you create or access your taptap account, such as payment providers, social media services, on-demand music services, or apps or websites who use taptap’s APIs or whose APIs taptap uses (such as when you order a trip on Google Maps).
- Insurance providers (if you are a driver or delivery partner).
- Financial services providers (if you are a driver or delivery partner).
- Partner transport companies (if you are a driver who uses our services through an account associated with such a company).
- The owner of a taptap for Business or taptap Family profile that you use.
- Publicly available sources.
- Marketing service providers.
- Taptap may combine the information collected from these sources with other information in its possession.
How we use your Information
Taptap collects and uses information to enable reliable and convenient transportation, delivery and other products and services. We also use the information we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications to or between users
- To provide promotions or contests
- In connection with legal proceedings
- Taptap does not sell or share your personal information to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes.
1. Providing services and features
Taptap uses the information we collect to provide, personalise, maintain and improve our products and services. This includes using the information to:
- Create and update your account.
- Verify your identity.
- Enable transport, and other services. This includes automated processing of your information to enable Dynamic Pricing, where the price of a trip is determined based on constantly varying factors such as the estimated time and distance of the predicted route, estimated traffic, and the number of riders and drivers using taptap at a given time.
- Process or facilitate payments for those services.
- Offer, obtain, provide or facilitate insurance or financing solutions in connection with our services.
- Track the progress of your trip.
- Enable features that allow you to share information with other people, such as when you submit a compliment about a driver, refer a friend to taptap, split fares or share your ETA.
- Enable features to personalise your taptap account, such as creating bookmarks for your favourite places, and to enable quick access to previous destinations.
- Enable accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use our services, such as those that enable deaf or hard-of-hearing drivers to alert their riders of their disabilities, allow only text messages from riders, and to receive flashing trip request notifications instead of sound notifications.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems, to conduct data analysis, testing and research, and to monitor and analyse usage and activity trends.
2. Safety and security
We use your data to help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our services and users. This includes, for example:
- Screening drivers and delivery partners prior to enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals, including through reviews of background checks where permitted by law, to prevent use of our services by unsafe drivers.
- Using information from drivers’ devices to identify unsafe driving behaviour such as speeding or harsh braking and acceleration, and to raise awareness among drivers regarding such behaviour.
- our real-time ID checking feature, which prompts drivers to share a selfie before going online. This helps ensure that the driver using the app matches the taptap account we have on file, preventing fraud and helping to protect other users.
- Using device, location, profile, usage and other information to prevent, detect and combat fraud or unsafe activities. This includes processing of such information, in certain countries, to identify practices or patterns that indicate fraud or risk of safety incidents. This may also include information from third parties. In certain cases, such incidents may lead to deactivation by means of an automated decision-making process.
- Using user ratings to encourage improvement by affected users, and as grounds for deactivating users with ratings below a certain minimum as may be required in their region. Calculation and deactivation may be done using an automated decision-making process.
3. Customer support
Taptap uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls after notice to you and with your consent) to assist you when you contact our customer support services, including:
- Direct your questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address your concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses
4. Research and development
We may use the information we collect for testing, research, analysis and product development. This allows us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
5. Communications among users
Taptap uses the information we collect to enable communications between our users. For example, a driver may text or call a rider to confirm a pick-up location.
6. Communications from taptap
Taptap may use the information we collect to communicate with you about products, services, promotions, studies, surveys, news, updates and events.
Taptap may also use the information to promote and process competitions and sweepstakes, fulfil any related awards, and serve you relevant ads and content about our services and those of our business partners. You may receive some of these communications based on your profile as a taptap user.
Taptap may also use the information to inform you about elections, ballots, referendums and other political and policy processes that relate to our services.
7. Legal proceedings and requirements
We may use the information we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to your use of taptap's services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities and official enquiries.
Cookies and third-party technologies
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
Information sharing and disclosure
Some of taptap's products, services and features require that we share information with other users or at your request. We may also share your information with our affiliates, subsidiaries and business partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
Taptap may share the information we collect:
1. With other users
- For example, if you are a rider, we may share your first name, average rider rating given by drivers, and pick-up and/or drop-off locations with drivers. If you share a taptap Pool trip with another rider, that rider may be told your name and may see your pick-up and/or drop-off location.
- If you are a driver, we may share information with your rider(s) including your name and photo; your vehicle make, model, colour, number plate and photo; location; average rating provided by riders; total number of trips; for how long you have been using the taptap app; contact information (depending upon applicable laws). If you choose to complete a driver profile, we may also share any information associated with that profile, including information that you submit and compliments that past riders have submitted about you. The rider recipient will also receive a receipt containing information such as a breakdown of amounts charged, your first name and photo, and a map of the route you took.
2. At your request
This includes sharing your information with:
- Other people at your request. For example, we may share your ETA and location with a friend at your request, or your trip information when you split a fare with a friend.
- Taptap business partners. For example, if you requested a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, taptap may share your information with those third parties. This may include, for example, other apps or websites that integrate with our APIs, vehicle suppliers or services, or those with an API or service with which we integrate, or business partners with whom taptap may partner to deliver a promotion, competition or specialised service.
3. With the general public when you submit content to a public forum
We love hearing from our users, including through public forums such as taptap messaging, social media and certain features on our network. When you communicate with us via these channels, your communications may be viewable by the public.
4. With the owner of taptap accounts that you may use
If you use a profile associated with another party, we may share your trip information with the owner of that profile. This occurs, for example, if you are:
- A rider using your employer’s taptap for Business profile, or taking trips arranged through taptap Corporate.
- A driver using an account owned by a partner transport company.
- A rider who takes a trip arranged by a friend or under a family profile.
5. With taptap subsidiaries and affiliates
We share information with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf. For example, taptap processes and stores information on servers across the world – such information is held by taptap and only stored on our behalf by third parties for and on behalf of our international subsidiaries and affiliates.
6. With taptap service providers and business partners
taptap may provide information to its vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. This may include, for example:
- Payment processors and facilitators.
- Background check providers (drivers only).
- Cloud storage providers.
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers.
- Data analytics providers.
- Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with taptap or on taptap’s behalf.
- Vendors that assist taptap to enhance the safety and security of its apps.
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers.
- Fleet partners.
- Insurance and financing partners.
- Restaurant partners.
- Vehicle solution vendors or third-party vehicle suppliers.
7. For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
taptap may share your information if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing your information with law enforcement officials, government authorities, airports (if required by the airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property) or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements or other policies, to protect taptap’s rights or property or the rights, safety or property of others, or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to your use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share information with that credit card holder, including trip information.
This also includes sharing your information with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
- 8. With your consent
Taptap may share your information other than as described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to sharing.
Information retention and deletion
Taptap retains user profile and other information for as long as you maintain your taptap account.
Taptap retains transaction, location, usage and other information for 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance or other requirements in the places in which it operates. Taptap thereafter deletes or anonymises such information in accordance with applicable laws.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Following such request, taptap deletes the information that it is not required to retain, and restricts access to or use of any information it is required to retain.
Special information for EU users
Beginning 25 May 2018, the processing of personal data of users in the European Union is subject to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
Choice and transparency
Taptap provides the means for you to see and control the information that taptap collects, including through:
- in-app privacy settings;
- device permissions;
- in-app ratings pages;
- marketing opt-outs.
You can also ask taptap to provide you with an explanation, copies or correction of your data.
A. PRIVACY SETTINGS
The Privacy Settings menu in the taptap Rider app gives users the ability to set or update their location and contacts sharing preferences, and their preferences for receiving mobile notifications from taptap. Information on these settings, how to set or change these settings, and the effect of turning off these settings are described below.
- Location information
- Taptap uses riders’ device location services to make it easier to get a safe, reliable trip whenever you need one. Location data helps improve our services, including pick-ups, navigation and customer support.
- You can enable, disable or adjust taptap's collection of rider location information at any time through the Privacy Settings menu in the taptap app, or via the settings on your mobile device. If you disable the device location services on your device, your use of the taptap app will be affected. For example, you will need to enter your pick-up or drop-off locations manually. In addition, location information will be collected from the driver during your trip and linked to your account, even if you have not enabled taptap to collect your location information.
- Share live location (riders)
- If you have enabled the device location services on your mobile device, you can also enable taptap to share your location with your driver from the time you request a trip to the start of your trip. This makes it easier for your driver to pick you up.
- You can enable/disable location sharing with your driver at any time through the Privacy Settings menu in the taptap app. You can use the taptap app if you have not enabled location sharing, but it may be more difficult for your driver to locate you.
- Notifications: Account and trip updates
- Taptap provides users with trip status notifications and updates related to your account. These notifications are a necessary part of using the taptap app and cannot be disabled. However, you can choose the method by which you receive these notifications through the Privacy Settings menu in the taptap app.
- Notifications: Discounts and news
- You can enable taptap to send you push notifications about discounts and news from taptap. You can enable/disable these notifications at any time through the Privacy Settings menu in the taptap app.
B. DEVICE PERMISSIONS
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. These platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the taptap app wants permission to access certain types of data and will let you consent (or not consent) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the taptap app seeks before you first use the app, and your use of the app constitutes your consent.
C. RATINGS LOOK-UP
After every trip, drivers and riders are able to rate each other, as well as give feedback on how the trip went. This two-way system holds everyone accountable for their behaviour. Accountability helps create a respectful, safe environment for both drivers and riders.
Your rider rating is available in the main menu of the taptap Rider app.
Your driver rating is available in the Ratings tab of the taptap Partner app.
D. EXPLANATIONS, COPIES AND CORRECTION
You can ask taptap to:
- Provide a detailed explanation regarding the information taptap has collected about you and how it uses that information.
- Send you a copy of the information taptap has collected about you.
- Correct any inaccurate information that taptap has about you.
You can make these requests by contacting taptap here.
You can also edit the name, phone number and email address associated with your account through the Settings menu in taptap's apps. You can also look up your trips, orders and service history in the taptap apps.
E. MARKETING OPT-OUTS
You can opt out of receiving promotional emails from taptap here. You can also opt out of receiving emails and other messages from taptap by following the instructions in those messages. Please note that, if you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as receipts for your trips or information about your account.
Updates to this policy
We may occasionally update this policy. If we make significant changes, we will notify you of the changes through the taptap apps or through other means, such as email. To the extent permitted under applicable law, by using our services after such notice, you consent to our updates to this policy.
We encourage you to periodically review this policy for the latest information on our privacy practices. We will also make prior versions of our privacy policies available for review.